“Did you hear me?” When I don’t receive a response from my husband or my children after I asked them to do something, I often ask, “Did you hear me?” How many times do we wonder if God hears us? Big Daddy Weave’s song “I Know” recounts the goodness of God, but it’s a lyric in the opening verse that caught my attention this week.
Join me in exploring Solomon’s prayer of dedication of the newly constructed temple. His prayer repeats a request that God would hear when we call to him.
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Read and keep on reading
- Reference section headings to get your bearings
- Mark up the text
- Make a list
- Reading the Bible through in a year by reading for a set amount of time vs. a specific number of chapters
- Getting our bearings in 2 Chronicles using section headings to bring us to the prayer of dedication for the temple
- Marking up the text in 2 Chronicles 6, noting every mention of the word “hear”
- The poetic form and structure of Solomon’s prayer – 2 Chronicles 6
- Making a list of “if” and “when” statements in Solomon’s prayer
- Noting that almost every request for God to “hear” is paired with a request for forgiveness due to a heart of repentance
- The prayer that God would give according to our hearts and our ways (a.k.a. scary prayer) – 2 Chronicles 6:30
- Acknowledging God’s power – 2 Chronicles 6:3-4
- A sincere desire to glorify the name of God – 2 Chronicles 6:7-9
- God’s response to Solomon’s prayer – 2 Chronicles 7:12-14
Check out the official lyric video on YouTube below.
More Than a Song Playlist
Follow the More Than a Song 2020 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
- Lyrics and chords – Praise Charts
- The Story Behind the Album with “I Know” by Big Daddy Weave – TheChristianBeat.org
This Week’s Challenge
Read 2 Chronicles 1-7. Sit awhile in chapter 6 as you read, study, and interact with Solomon’s prayer of dedication of the temple. Consider the Lord’s response in chapter 7 in context of the prayer. Ask the Lord to hear your prayer that He would reveal your ways and your heart. Repent, and then ask Him to align your heart and your ways to HIS ways.