What a name our Savior was given! Emmanuel – God With Us. Names in the Bible held great significance, and this one was no different. How exactly did God choose to BE “with us?” He arrived as a baby! This week we use Matt Redman’s song, “The Name of Emmanuel” to explore the humanity of Christ.
This is definitely something I have skimmed over in the past. I can’t wait to share what I found with you!
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Make a List
- Explore a Topic
- Utilize an outside resource
- Exploring the topic of incarnation – a term used by theologians to indicate that Jesus, the Son of God, took on human flesh
- Starting in John 1:1-5, 9-14 and making a list of everything we learn about The Word
- During Jesus’ earthly ministry no one questioned his humanity, but it wasn’t long after Jesus’ ascension that questions arose about this
- You see John trying to answer this argument in 1 John 4:1-3, and 2 John 1:7
- Using a DesiringGod.org article as a jumping off point for further study
- The human body of Jesus
- He was born – Luke 2:7
- He grew – Luke 2:40, 52
- He got worn out – John 4:5-6
- He got thirsty – John 19:28
- He got hungry – Matthew 4:2
- He got weak – Matthew 4:11, Luke 23:26
- The heart and emotions of Emmanuel
- He marveled – Matthew 8:10
- His soul was sorrowful – Matthew 26:28
- He was deeply moved and troubled and wept – John 11:33-35
- He prayed with loud cries and tear – Hebrews 5:7
- Even though He was God, Jesus surrendered His human will to the Father – John 6:38, Matthew 26:39
- How Jesus being LIKE us impacts His ministry TO us – Hebrews 2:5-18, Hebrews 4:14-16
Check out the official audio on YouTube below.
More Than a Song Playlist
Follow the More Than a Song 2019 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
- Lyrics and chords – Worship Together
- Why wasn’t Jesus named Emmanuel? – GotQuestions.org article
- The Importance of the Incarnation – Bible.org article
- Jesus is Fully Human by David Mathis – DesiringGod.org
This Week’s Challenge
Keep reading Matthew 1-2 and Luke 1-2. Continue making observations and writing them down. Take a little time this week to ponder the incarnation. Consider that this baby born in a manager is Emmanuel…God with us. Really take in both sides of The Word — His divinity and complete humanity.