We are in dire straights. We’re going down in a heap of confusion and our SOS call has been heard by a loving Father who sent His only Son to rescue us. Lauren Daigle’s song “Rescue” reminds us that we are not beyond God’s reach to deliver us from sin.
Paul has his own SOS call recorded in his letter to the Romans. Let’s head over there together.
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Slow down
- Utilize outside resources
- Compare and contrast
- Listen to an audio version of Scripture
- The Jesus Storybook Bible and how it reminds us that the Bible is “The Story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them.”
- Paul’s SOS call in Romans 7:15-24
- Recognizing that Romans can be a little hard to put your mind around at times
- Utilizing outside resources (AFTER you study the text for yourself)
- Your pastor or small group leader
- Study Bible
- Commentaries that you trust (usually recommended by your trusted pastor or spiritual mentor)
- Nancy Guthrie’s book, “Even Better Than Eden” – Amazon link
- How sin came into the world through one man – Romans 5:12, Genesis 2:15-17
- How righteousness came into the world through one man – Romans 5:19
- A variety of areas to study in Romans 6 and 7
- The symbolism of baptism
- Slavery to sin and lawlessness vs. slavery to righteousness
- The metaphor of marriage when discussing being released from the law
- The ongoing discussion about the law and what it does and does not do
- Baptism as an outward physical symbol of the inward spiritual conversion of Christians
- Being united with Christ through death to sin
- Being united with Christ in resurrection – walking in newness of life
- Then tension between being rescued from sin and still needing to walk in newness of life
If you’re not familiar with the song, you can watch the stunning official lyric video on YouTube below.
Follow the More Than a Song 2019 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
- Lyrics and chords – Praise Charts
This Week’s Challenge
Read Romans in context. Read the entire letter in one sitting if you can. Zero in on Romans 6 and 7 as it builds to Paul’s SOS call for rescue. Consider the symbolism of baptism. Ponder the spiritual truth it reveals, but also consider ways in which you are not walking in newness of life. Allow your Rescuer to rescue you…allow Him to lead you by His Spirit.