One of my favorite ways to understand Scripture is to consider the opposite. Whatever it IS becomes clearer for me when I think about what it’s NOT. Michael Ketterer does that for us in the song, “Spirit Lead Me,” when he reminds us that chasing feelings is the opposite of being led by the Spirit.
I want to be led by the Spirit, but I’ve learned in my studies that first I must “inquire of the Lord.”
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Read and keep on reading
- Listen to an audio version of Scripture
- Read/study to epic music playlist
- Putting on a garment of praise as we studied last week in Episode 282
- Not letting the music you listen to inform what you believe, rather letting what you believe inform the music you’ll consume
- Rapid Bible Read Through – you can learn more about it over on my friend Keith Ferrin’s blog
- How Saul did NOT inquire of the Lord and what happened – 1 Chronicles 10:13
- Taking on 1st and 2nd Samuel by reading for larger chunks of time
- David inquiring of the Lord – 1 Samuel 23:1-5, 1 Samuel 23:10-13, 1 Samuel 30:8, 2 Samuel 2:1-4, 2 Samuel 5:17-25 and more
- How and why WE are led by the Spirit – Romans 8:5-14
Subscribe to/Follow More Than a Song and never miss an episode!
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official music video on YouTube below.
Follow the More Than a Song 2019 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
- Lyrics and chords – Influence Music
- The story behind “Spirit Lead Me” by Michael Ketterer – YouTube Video
- “Spirit Lead Me” Devo with Michael Ketterer – YouTube Video
This Week’s Challenge
Tackle the narrative told in 1st and 2nd Samuel this week. Read and keep on reading. Take as long as you need, but read in larger chunks of time. Don’t get bogged down in the details, keep an eye on the big picture. Take note of when people “inquire of the Lord” and when they do not. What are the results and consequences? Make it a prayer of yours to be led by the Spirit and not by your flesh. And if you are hostile to the things of God, by all means surrender. He will fill you with Himself and you will be free.