Even though the phrase “the unmaking” does not appear in Scripture, you can vividly see various characters in God’s Word go through deconstruction, and we can learn from their journey. This week, I take Nichole Nordeman’s song, “The Unmaking” and use it to examine the journey of Naomi found in the Book of Ruth.
God really used Naomi’s journey to teach me what should stay and what should go in my own rubble pile, perhaps He will do the same for you. I even created a resource to help walk you through that process.
On this episode I discuss:
- Nichole Nordeman’s story behind the song – YouTube
- Nichole Nordeman’s story behind the song written thoughts
- Discovering strength and vulnerability in recognizing we all need to go through the unmaking
- Unpacking the story of Naomi found in The Book of Ruth
- Every good and perfect gift comes from God, but not every tragedy can be interpreted as God turning against you
- Coming to a new and renewed perspective of WHO God is by what He says about Himself
- Jesus’ question about what is really important – Matthew 16:26
- The difference between human point of view and God’s point of view
- Using Naomi as an example, sort through “what should go and what should stay” – use this tool to help
- Not elevating other’s thoughts and revelations above Scripture
- Always returning to God’s Word, but growing through both God’s Word and the revelation He gives through others
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Download the single by clicking the link below.
This Week’s Challenge
Read the Book of Ruth several times this week. Ponder the lyrics of this song and the idea of allowing God to unmake us before rebuilding us. Focus on Naomi as an example and use the resource I’ve created to help you process what should stay and what should go in your own life.