Even though we don’t build idols out of wood in modern day America, we still worship “things” made with our own two hands. This week’s song, “American Dream” by Casting Crowns weaves a tale all too familiar in our culture today. However, Jesus gives us a different path to take.
Join me on a journey through Scripture this week as we consider our idols and our response to the challenge given by Christ Himself.
On this episode I discuss:
- How we glamorize investing in “success”
- How anything we build with our own two hands is an idol – Habakkuk 2:4-5, 18-19
- Striving for wealth is treacherous and keeps us from rest
- Building our life with our own two hands is like building a house on the sand – Matthew 7:24-27
- The Bible interaction tool of using section headings in Scripture to build an outline
- The danger of thinking you are safe whether you obey or not – Deuteronomy 29:18-19
- The danger of viewing your circumstances as “proof” of anything – Jeremiah 44:16-18
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! Subscribe in iTunesSubscribe in Stitcher Radio
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official music video on YouTube below.
Download the single or the entire album by clicking the links below
This Week’s Challenge
Read Matthew 5-7 all the way through several times. Then take out your journal and write each section title in your journal with a synopsis of how you can obey the teaching of Christ in this section. Some sections you may feel like a saint, where others you may be quite convicted! Then intentional seek to obey…building your life on a solid foundation to withstand the storms of life.
Click Below to Listen to the Podcast Now!