Have you ever been asked to define a word you’re familiar with, but don’t have the depth of knowledge and clarity to actually put it into words? This week’s song “Promises” by Maverick City Music sings of some characteristics of God that inspired more scrutiny on my part.
Join me in exploring the God of covenant in Genesis and Romans this week.
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Consult an outside resource
- Get your bearings with section headings
- The 30 Day Music Challenge – ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE HERE
- The value of rehearsing the faithfulness of God using specifics from the Bible and our own lives
- Positioning yourself to be held accountable for staying in God’s Word
- Getting bold and creative in whatever season you’re in to commit to interacting with God’s Word
- An overview of the life of Abram in Genesis up to God’s covenant with him
- What a covenant is and learning more about covenants in the Bible
- Outside resources I used this week
- How God pursues covenant with people and not the other way around
- The covenant ceremony between Abram and God in Genesis 15
- Details of how covenants were ratified in Biblical times
- Reading Romans 4 in light of what we learn in Genesis 15-17
Check out the official music video of this week’s song below!
More Than a Song Playlist
- Lyrics and chords – WorshipTogether.com
This Week’s Challenge
Make sure your life commitments include groups or relationships that call you to personal study of God’s Word — that accountability makes all of the difference. Read about the life of Abraham for yourself in Genesis 12-25. Use outside resources to increase your knowledge of covenant and make sense of the scene we read together today. Learn even more about Abraham and how it all makes sense in light of the gospel by exploring Romans 4 in context. Ponder the significance of faith in the life of Abraham and in our own lives.