If I asked you to share “the gospel” with me, could you do it? I think the word gospel is one of those words that Christians use often and the assumption is that if we use it enough, then people will automatically know what it means. Hillsong United’s song, “King of Kings” shares the message of the gospel…the good news of Christ…in a beautiful and clear way.
Let’s discover the truth of Scripture behind the lyrics of this song together.
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Reading in context
- Considering the big story (metanarrative)
- How your time in Scripture will “add up” until you can make the links on your own
- The darkness and emptiness of Genesis (Genesis 1:1-2) as an example of the spiritual darkness and emptiness of people without Christ
- How Zechariah’s prophesy over his son John included a mention to the light and mercy mentioned in the song – Luke 1:76-79
- Jesus as the great light dawning – Matthew 4:12-17
- The Light (Jesus) was in the beginning – John 1:1-13
- Our Savior fulfills the law and prophets – Matthew 5:17-20
- The law and the prophets bear witness about Christ – John 5:33-47
- A more complete discussion of the prophecies fulfilled at the virgin birth – Episode 300
- The stark contrast between our Savior’s heavenly home and earthly sojourn – Philippians 2:6-7
Check out the official lyric video on YouTube below.
More Than a Song Playlist
Follow the More Than a Song 2020 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
- Lyrics and Chords (and piano tutorial in the New Song Cafe) – WorshipTogether.com
- The story behind the song “King of Kings” by Hillsong Worship – New Release Today article
This Week’s Challenge
Meditate on these areas of Scripture listed in the show notes above. Consider them in the context of where they were written and then ponder how every story whispers the name of Jesus. Finally, recount the goodness of God and offer your sacrifice of worship and PRAISE.