We can hide behind convenient truth when things are swell, but when our feet are to the fire, the deep truth tends to come out. Will we be willing to log years of faithfulness such that our circumstances no longer define God’s ability or position in our minds? “Even If” by MercyMe leads us to a powerful “even if” moment in Scripture.
What can we learn from three friends in a foreign land?
In this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include
- Reading in context
- Reviewing introductions to books of the Bible
- Consider the historical context
- Introduction to the Book of Daniel – BlueLetterBible.org
- The background of the three friends highlighted in Daniel 3
- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego’s position in the province of Babylon – Daniel 2:49
- Despite their wisdom and faithful service to the king, there were those waiting to tattle on the friends – Daniel 3:8
- What the friends chose to direct their attention to
- We don’t have to defend ourselves, and we don’t have to defend God
- The enemy’s “go-to” play from his playbook as old as the Garden of Eden itself
- The fact that the friends had long since decided how they would respond
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Follow the More Than a Song 2019 playlist in Spotify…new songs added each week!
This Week’s Challenge
Read Daniel 3 in context — meaning start in chapter 1 and read all the way through chapter 3. Consider the historical context of this story. Perhaps even complete additional study on the historical details. Ask yourself how you would respond in this situation. Decide today that you will remain faithful even if God doesn’t choose to rescue you in the manner you desire.