Some troubles God uses to help us grow and develop endurance. There are obstacles in our lives, however, that we need to overcome…not just endure. Be sure that the message of Mandisa’s song “Overcomer” is one that you can truly proclaim. In 1 John 5, John asks, “Who can overcome the world?” I want to sing along with Mandisa on your behalf, “You’re an OVERCOMER!”
Join me as we discover how to truly be overcomers.
On this week’s episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Read in context
- Consult an outside resource
- Complete a word study
- The author of I John – Bible.org Article
- The Greek word for “world” – BibleHub.com
- Obstacles and temptations that incentivize us to sin and how we overcome them
- How we show God contempt
- How to be sure we are a believer in Jesus Christ to know we can claim the promise that we are overcomers
Subscribe/Follow More Than a Song and never miss an episode! Subscribe in iTunesSubscribe in Stitcher RadioFollow in Spotify
If you have never heard the song before, you can watch the official lyric video below.
- Official Music Video for Overcomer
- Story behind “Overcomer” – video featuring Mandisa
- Authorship of 1 John by W. Hall Harris III
- Word study for “world”
- Word study for “believe”
This Week’s Challenge
I encourage you to dive into the context around 1 John 5:5. I John is only 5 chapters and is full of amazing, life changing truth that will begin to change the way you think. You could read I John in one sitting. It’s a great place to hang out in all week!