There is such a sense of expectancy in the Christmas season. We hope our gifts for others are “just right,” we hope everyone gets along at our various gatherings, we hope to make lasting and meaningful memories, and sometimes we hope for that perfect gift. Before Jesus came the first time, all of creation hoped for God to send the One that would rescue the world. Kari Jobe’s song, “When Hope Came Down,” calls us to examine Christ who “came down” to do the will of the Father.
You and I are included in Father God’s plan. This week we see the express purpose of Hope coming down.
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Reading in a variety of translations
- Listening to an audio version of Scripture
- Reading aloud
- Sharing with friends
- Asking questions
- The account of the angels lifting up their voices – Luke 2:1-21
- The desperate plea for God to “rend the heavens and come down” – Isaiah 64:1
- Jesus declaring that he “came down from heaven” – John 6:38
- Jesus getting to the heart of the motives of the people – John 6:25-27
- Matthew Henry’s commentary’s comment that the people weren’t seeking good doctrine, but full bellies
- Jesus’ challenge to us to focus on the eternal not the temporal – John 6:27
- The people’s limited understanding of the purpose of manna from heaven – John 6:25-31
- Jesus defining the foreshadowing of manna from heaven – John 6:32-33
- Discovering the purpose of the true Bread of Heaven – John 6:32-40
- Application questions:
What does God want me to think/understand?
What does God want me to believe?
What does God want me to desire?
What does God want me to do?
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! Subscribe in iTunesSubscribe in Stitcher Radio
If you have never heard this song before, you can listen to the official audio on YouTube below.
- Purchase the album or single on Amazon
- Lyrics and chords
- Advent Resources
- Come, Lord Jesus: The Weight of Waiting by Kris Camealy
- The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas by Ann Voskamp
- Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas by Ann Voskamp
- The Adventure of Christmas: Helping Children Find Jesus in Our Holiday Traditions by Lisa Welchel
This Week’s Challenge
Click Below to Listen to the Podcast Now!