Stories inspire us. That’s why we are drawn in by good books, powerful movies, documentaries, and even ESPN specials. There is something about seeing someone else overcome the odds that gives us hope that maybe, just maybe, we could do the same. Danny Gokey’s song “Rise” reminds us that our Creator has a plan for us that is higher than our broken past or sordid mistakes. “We were made to rise.”
Peter’s life paints a pretty epic story. Let’s search Scripture and discover how we can relate and what we might learn from this disciple.
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include:
- Character study
- Remember the characters in the Bible were REAL
- Follow the cross references
- Read in context
- The Life of Peter Scripture References – Pastor Jacob Johnson
- When we meet Peter – John 1:40-42
- Peter got a new name and so do we
- Peter gets an invite to the inner circle – Luke 8:50-56
- Would you become prideful if you were in the inner circle with Christ?
- Peter’s blunder on the mount of transfiguration – Matthew 17:1-8
- Do your mistakes cause you to question your calling?
- Jesus gives Peter high praise – Matthew 16:13-19
- Jesus gives Peter correction – Matthew 16:21-23
- Peter does the unthinkable – Matthew 26:31-35
- Peter returns to his old way of life when everything seems to fall apart – John 21:3-19
- Taking responsibility for our careless words and making ourselves available for restoration
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can listen to the official audio on YouTube below.
Download the single or entire album by clicking the link below.
- Story Behind the Song “Rise” by Danny Gokey – Free CCM Article