We can learn so much through the study of the names of God. Hillsong Worship’s song, “What a Beautiful Name,” puts the name of Jesus front and center in a moving song of worship. How much more powerful will this song be when you invest some time in discovering and contemplating a few names revealed in God’s Word?
Let’s go to the beginning with Jesus, shall we?
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercises include
- Consult a commentary – I used Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology this week
- Follow the cross references
- Make a list
- How John calls Jesus “The Word” – John 1:1-3
- The doctrine of the trinity – God eternally exists as three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and each person is fully God, and there is one God
- Wayne Grudem’s Podcast on the trinity – Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4
- The name for Jesus in John 1:1 – Logos
- Jesus was in the beginning – John 1:1
- Jesus is God – John 1:1
- Jesus was WITH God – John 1:2
- God created everything through Jesus – John 1:3
- We see each person of God in the beginning – Elohim – Genesis 1:1-3
- Just because God is plural doesn’t mean there is more than one God – Deuteronomy 6:4
- A powerful passage that brings it all together – Colossians 1:15-17
- “Let us” – Genesis 1:26
- The Name above all names – Philippians 2:1-11
- Making a list of our response to these amazing truths
- Trusting in the Name of Jesus – Proverbs 18:10
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! Subscribe in iTunesSubscribe in Stitcher Radio
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Download the single or entire album by clicking the link below.