Family…it’s beautiful, and frustrating, and glorious, and embarrassing, and diverse — even Christ’s family line carries some characters and heroes. Christy Nockels’ song, “Amaryllis,” inspired me to explore a few of the people in the lineage of Christ. How appropriate during this time of year when many of us have just made another year of memories with family and friends at Christmas.
Whether your family is on the glorious side, or the tragic, or somewhere in between, we see God weave all kinds of people into the lineage of the Savior of the world…so surely there’s hope for us!
On this episode I discuss:
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercises this week are:
- Follow cross references
- Consider the historical context – the article I found on the “silent period” between Micah and Matthew
- Considering the context of your birth
- The Old Testament ending on a note of expectation – Micah 4:4-6
- Exploring the lineage of Christ – Matthew 1:17
- Learning more about “Grandpa” Perez in Genesis 38
- King Hezekiah and his good start – 2 Chronicles 29:1-3
- The influence Hezekiah had on his nation – 2 Chronicles 30:6-10
- A portion of Hezekiah’s legacy – 2 Chronicles 31:20-21
- The “rest of the story” of Hezekiah’s life – Isaiah 36-39
- Zerubbabel and his role in the rebuilding of the altar and the temple – Ezra 3-6
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can listen to the official audio on YouTube below.
Download the single or the entire album by clicking the link below.
- Behind the song “Amaryllis” by Christy Nockels – New Release Today Article
- The Song Story of “Amaryllis” – YouTube Video