“What’s in a name?” Shakespeare’s Juliet certainly thought that a name was an artificial and meaningless convention. However, we see significance in Scripture when it comes to names — especially the names of God. We Are Messengers, in their song “God With Us,” point us to the name “Emmanuel” spoken of in the Old Testament, but revealed in the Christmas story in Matthew 1. “Emmanuel” is “God with us.”
Join me this week as we explore the significance of this name…God with us.
On this episode I discuss:
- The significance of names in the Bible
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercises this week are:
- Meditating on Scripture
- Consulting a commentary or external resource
- Jesus as the fulfillment of prophecy introducing His name – God with us – Matthew 1:18-24
- Original prophecy – Isaiah 7:14
- How it cost God much to be “God With Us” – John 3:16
- How much Jesus gave up to be “God With Us” – John 1:1-3
- The humility Christ showed to be “God With Us” – Philippians 2:6-8
- Jesus – fully God and fully man – John 1:14
- Insight gleaned from the chapter on The Person of Christ in Wayne Grudem’s book “Systematic Theology”
- God is STILL with us
- Christ took on flesh and is our example
- “God with us” should be an encouragement to us
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official music video on YouTube below.
Download the single or the entire EP by clicking the link below.
- Lyrics and Chords
- Story behind the song “God With Us” by We Are Messengers – YouTube Video
- Wayne Grudem Podcast on The Person of Christ – Session 1, Session 2, Session 3
This Week’s Challenge
Read Matthew 1 and 2 this week and reflect on the significance of the name given to Jesus from birth, Immanuel – God with us. Explore further understanding of the person of Christ by reading more in a systematic theology book or listening to the podcast I reference in Additional Resources in the shownotes. Consider what it means to us today to have the mind of Christ by reading and meditating on Philippians 2.