I wish I would take God at His Word. You know, REALLY take Him at His Word. When Jesus stood in the synagogue and unfurled the scroll and read about Himself out of Isaiah 61, He declared, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” The audience present didn’t get it then and I don’t think we FULLY understand it now. Zach William’s song “Chain Breaker” does a great job of reminding us…and inspiring us to find it for ourselves in Scripture.
Follow me to the time of Isaiah the prophet to learn more about Jesus…words spoken 700 years before Christ walked the earth.
On this episode I discuss:
- The characteristics of Jesus found in our song and Scripture – Isaiah 61:1-3
- Jesus as the fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah – Luke 4:16-21
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercises this week are:
- Listen to an audio version of Scripture (I use YouVersion)
- Read in context
- Consult a commentary
- Make a list
- How Jesus was fitted for the work
- Through the Spirit
- Some characteristics of the Spirit – Isaiah 11:1-2
- How Jesus was ordained to do the work
- The work Jesus was given to accomplish
- To preach
- Bringing good news to the poor – James 2:5
- To heal
- To deliver
- We are delivered and Christ’s enemies are captured – Colossians 2:15
- To comfort
- To plant
- God takes pride in our growing – Isaiah 60:21
- To preach
- Bonus: Consider Episode 139 and the garment Bartemaeus threw off and the garments God mentions putting on us in Isaiah 61
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Download the single or the entire EP by clicking the link below.
This Week’s Challenge
Read Luke 4:16-21 and then follow the cross-reference to Isaiah 61. Read in context. Read it multiple times in a couple of versions. Check out Matthew Henry’s commentary — I found it free online at BibleGateway.com. Learn these characteristics of Christ that you may call on them in your daily life.