I don’t know about you, but I tend to overload myself with distractions and messages. So much so, that I find it difficult to slow down enough to meditate on a thought, on Scripture, or on what God is saying to me. Singing Scripture is a way to meditate on it; and what better way than to use “To Live Is Christ” by Sidewalk Prophets? After all, the lyrics in the chorus come STRAIGHT from Scripture in Philippians chapter 1.
Here we find Paul able to find joy in difficult circumstances. Let’s consider how that might be possible for us.
On this episode I discuss:
- Learning to meditate on God through song – Psalm 119:15
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercises this week are:
- Research the historical context
- Read in context!
- Introduction to Philippians – Bible.org
- Paul’s profound love for the Philippians – Philippians 1:3-8
- How understanding where Paul is coming from can shed light on his advice to others – see Episode 133
- A beautiful prayer that I am going to start praying over my kids…AND my listeners – Philippians 1:9-11
- Pollyanna and the “Glad Game”
- Paul’s ability to play the “Glad Game” even in his imprisonment – Philippians 1:12-18
- Meditating on this…
- Can we rejoice when our circumstances mean we cannot serve God in the manner we used to?
- Can we find something to be glad about when we are mis-characterized and misunderstood?
- Will we take the time and focus to practice rejoicing (being glad) in our current circumstances?
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can hear the official audio version on YouTube below.
Download the single or entire album by clicking the link below.
- A “behind the scenes” interview with Sidewalk Prophets – Patheos.com
- Timeline of the life of the Apostle Paul – Blue Letter Bible
This Week’s Challenge
Start by reading Philippians chapter 1. Since Philippians is a letter, and is only 4 chapters, perhaps you can read the entire letter! Take a new BITE this week by reading about the historical context of Philippians. Play Pollyanna’s “Glad Game” like Paul does here, and truly reflect on what you can rejoice about even in dire circumstances.