If we fully understood the scope of God’s forgiveness, we would be more grateful and more gracious. That has been my personal challenge this week as I used Shane & Shane’s song, “That’s How You Forgive,” to explore just HOW God forgives.
Join me on this very powerful journey to explore the depths of God’s forgiveness and what it means to and for us.
On this episode I discuss:
- God’s standard of forgiveness (see Episode 129 for an introduction to this)
- How the opening verse of “That’s How You Forgive” by Shane & Shane come from Psalm 103 – Psalm 103:8
- The difference between a standard and a list of rules
- The A.C.T.S. model for prayer
- Adoration – Psalm 103:1-2
- The Hebrew word for “benefits” in Psalm 103:2 can be translated “dealing” – BibleHub.com
- Part one of understanding how God forgives is to explore how He deals with us
- A list of examples of how God “deals” with us in Psalm 103:3-10
- Part two of understanding how God forgives is consider WHY He forgives the way He does – Psalm 103:11-16
- Part three of understanding how God forgives is to consider the SCOPE of His forgiveness – Psalm 103:12
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercises this week are:
- Make a list
- Pray Scripture
- Determining if we are meeting God’s standard of forgiveness in our dealings with others – Colossians 3:13
- How God purifies us in the forgiveness process and how it relates to the refining process discussed in Episode 126 – 1 John 1:9
- Ending our prayers with another dose of adoration
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! [button href=”https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/more-than-a-song/id829432908?mt=2″ primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in iTunes[/button][button href=”http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/45801/details” primary=”false” centered=”false”]Subscribe in Stitcher Radio[/button]
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Download the single or entire album by clicking the link below.
- Story behind the song “That’s How You Forgive” by Shane & Shane – New Release Today
- Story behind the song “That’s How You Forgive” by Shane & Shane – YouTube Video
This Week’s Challenge
Read Psalm 103 for yourself! Think about the parts of forgiveness we discussed today. Consider how God deals with us and make a list of examples given in this Psalm. Consider why He deals with us in this manner. Consider the scope of His forgiveness. Don’t forget to pray! Use your list to rehearse God’s greatness. If, like me, this study leads you to understand that you need to make some changes in order to meet God’s standard of forgiveness, confess your unforgiveness and ask for help.