Do we have an intellectual devotion to God or a heart-wrenching allegiance to Him? Follow me to the Book of Ruth this week as we explore big themes using “I Will Follow” by Chris Tomlin as inspiration.
Ruth’s total devotion and life of submission have challenged me this week. I hope her story impacts you as well.
On this episode I discuss:
- My daughter, Meredith’s, memory verse – Ruth 1:16-17
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercises this week are:
- Reading in context
- Listen to the Scripture
- Read (or listen) in a variety of translations
- Concentrate on big themes
- The deep love and devotion Ruth had for Naomi – Ruth 1
- Putting our feet on a path to deep, abiding love for our Father rather than just cultural and intellectual devotion
- The theme of submission to authority
- Following God’s instructions for our lives without “customization” (also known as disobedience)
- How God doesn’t make mistakes – sometimes His will IS the long way around
- Exploring the themes in Ruth (not an all inclusive list)
- Submission without customization
- Deep, abiding love
- The “could haves” in Ruth’s story
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! Subscribe in iTunesSubscribe in Stitcher Radio
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Download the single or album by clicking the links below.
This Week’s Challenge
Read in context – all four chapters of Ruth. Read it several times. Listen to it. Read or listen to it in several versions. Concentrate on the big themes. Maybe even pick one big theme I have listed this week and read and listen with only that theme in mind. It’s going to be an exciting week!