Our society celebrates a lack of margin with hashtags and t-shirts while sacrificing health and relationships along the way. This week’s song, “Breathe” by Jonny Diaz reminds us that we need to stop and sit at the feet of Jesus and just be. This, however, will take a purposed effort on your part.
Paul, in his letter to the Philippians, gives us a secret to contentedness. I can’t wait to discover it with you.
On this episode I discuss:
- Our pride in our own self-sufficiency
- Our tendency to #hustle and then celebrate our perpetual state of discontentment with addiction
- An example of characters in the Bible who could have “Breathe” by Jonny Diaz as their theme song, too – Mary and Martha in Luke 10
- Taking a B.I.T.E. out of Scripture – our Bible Interaction Tool Exercise this week is:
- Write out Scripture by hand
- Slowing down and writing out Philippians 4 in the Amplified Version
- Uncovering Paul’s secret to being content
- Contentment is not complacency
- The book, “Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives” by Dr. Richard Swenson
- Quote by J.I. Packer, “Contentment is essentially accepting from God’s hand what He sends because we know that He is good and therefore it is good.”
- Investing in sitting at the feet of Jesus through time in His Word.
Subscribe to More Than a Song in iTunes or Stitcher Radio and never miss an episode! Subscribe in iTunesSubscribe in Stitcher Radio
If you have never heard this song before, you can watch the official lyric video on YouTube below.
Download the single or album by clicking the links below.
This Week’s Challenge
Read Philippians all the way through – it is just 4 chapters. Follow this week’s Bible Interaction Tool Exercise and take chapter 4 in a translation you are not familiar with and write it out by hand. Slow down. Breathe. Sit at the feet of Jesus. It is the SECRET to learn to be content.